The National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Department of Science and Technology (DST) are pleased to announce the provisional awards for the Extension Scholarship for Masters and Doctoral Studies in 2019.
Extension Support for Masters and Doctoral awards have been made according to the strategic objectives of the Extension Support for Masters and Doctoral funding instrument, the Ministerial Directives on equity targets and the available budget.
The NRF is an independent statutory body established through the National Research Foundation Act, following a system-wide review conducted for the Department of Arts, Culture, Science and Technology (DACST).
In the new NRF Strategy 2020, the organization places renewed emphasis on the agency function of the NRF and its role as a policy implementer within the National System of Innovation (NSI).
Scholarship is available to pursue Master and Doctoral Degree program
Field of Study:
Scholarships are awarded in any subject offered by the university.
Funds will only be released once the completed documentation has been received by the NRF.
The scholarship is available for South African citizens.
• The NRF will forward award letters to successful candidates in December 2018.
• Once you have received the Conditions of grant (CoG), please read through the written agreement carefully, before accepting the award.
• All signed and completed documentation must be forwarded to the NRF via your university postgraduate funding office, research office or financial aid office.
• Funds will only be released once the completed documentation has been received by the NRF.
• Awards not taken up four (4) months after awarding will be automatically cancelled, unless otherwise approved by the NRF.
• Feedback to unsuccessful candidates will only be provided by end of March 2019, at the latest, due to processing of funding outcomes for various funding instruments.
• The NRF provides feedback to unsuccessful candidates through the Research Offices of various institutions and not to individual students.
English Language Requirements:
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Applying procedure Instructions:
The mode of applying this scholarship is online.
Scholarship Official Web Links:
March 31, 2019.